–Norma Stansfield, LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL
You know… I see lists of ranked comics all the time… “The 10 Best Avengers Stories”… “The 25 Most Important X-Men Stories”… “The Most Terrible Magnus: Robot Fighter Stories, Ranked Bad to Worst”! And I tend to hate those lists. Just never cared for them at all because they are all so subjective and typically there’s little thought put into them.
Also… there are no bad Robot Fighter stories.
He fights ROBOTS, people! With karate chops!
But now that DEADPOOL: ASSASSIN is coming out, I thought I’d rank all my Deadpool stories. Keep in mind, I like them all! But I have favorites among all my beautiful little children. Most of the time, it all boils down to how much fun I was having while working on the title.
Please note that I’m not counting stories that were not primarily Deadpool-related, such as VENOMVERSE, or short stories like “Armed and Dangerous” which appeared in issues of Deadpool, but were not Deadpool stories.
So here we go!
14) DEADPOOL AND THE MERCS FOR MONEY – I’m lumping the original mini and the ongoing in here together. This might have ranked much higher if I had been able to stick with the book and finish the bigger story I wanted to tell. Ah, well! It had Gorilla Man and Hit-Monkey! So, that was awesome!
13) DEADPOOL VS. CARNAGE – This was a fun free-for-all. I enjoyed connecting Deadpool and Carnage’s craziness. I would have loved to do more with the composite symbiote that Deadpool used in this story.
12) “SHOW AND RAISE HELL” – The second Deadpool tale I wrote, this one featuring Kid Deadpool and Dogpool riding around in a giant robot. The robot, Jet Falcion, was intended to be Red Ronin, but apparently there was some legal mumbo jumbo that prevented that.
11) “MOUTH OF THE BORDER” – My first Deadpool short story! A tale of chupacabras and Twilight references. Short, but I liked it!
10) DEADPOOL KILLS DEADPOOL – The end of the “Killogy” of Deadpool stories presented in DEADPOOL KILLS THE MARVEL UNIVERSE and DEADPOOL KILLUSTRATED. I wanted to take those stories (so obviously alternate universe tales) and make them “important” by throwing the Deadpool from OUR continuity into the mix. I killed the Deadpool Corps here, too, although I had designs to bring them back at some point down the road.
9) RETURN OF THE LIVING DEADPOOL – Where NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEADPOOL was tied to horror movies, this one is influenced heavily by PLANET OF THE APES. What’s not to love?
8) DEADPOOL TEAM-UP #888 – A single issue, featuring Deadpool and Ben Grimm at a wrestling match. I wanted to write Ben Grimm because of all the old MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE stories I loved. And wrestling… well… I just wanted to showcase my love of professional wrestling. A lot of people said I stole this story from an episode of DEXTER’S LAB. Wrong. I stole it from a MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE Annual… which was the inspiration for that DEXTER’S LAB episode.
7) DEADPOOL KILLS THE MARVEL UNIVERSE… AGAIN – A shameless cash grab? Let me explain something to you. ALL comics are cash grabs! They are published to sell. They are sold when your cash is grabbed. Anyhow. I loved this book. It’s not quite as dark as the original, but it was fun trying to place this in the continuity of a different comic book story. Go read it to figure out what I’m talking about!
6) DEADPOOL: BACK IN BLACK – A sequel to DEADPOOL’S SECRET SECRET WARS, showing us that, once again, Deadpool is tied up with the origin of the Venom symbiote. I loved being able to play around in the 80s. Obnoxio the Clown! Power Pack! Kraven (who might have been influenced by Deadpool for Kraven’s Last Hunt). So much fun!
5) DEADPOOL’S SECRET SECRET WARS – After the success of DEADPOOL KILLS THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, this was the story I pitched as a sequel. Deadpool was always part of the 1984 SECRET WARS series. We just don’t remember him. It ended up being published later, and I loved revisiting the original series and making it work. I also love the debate around it. Was this in-continuity? The answer is—YES—and that means the origin of Venom is changed forever!
4) DEADPOOL KILLUSTRATED – The weirdest book in my Deadpool library! In this series, Deadpool kills the icons of literature! This is a story that could ONLY be told with Deadpool as the lead. It also introduced the Literature Avengers, a team of characters I had plans for in the future… but it just didn’t play out.
3) DEADPOOL: ASSASSIN – My latest… possibly my last… Deadpool work. I am very proud of this series. I love the way this story plays out. It’s Deadpool for those who love Deadpool… and for those who hate Deadpool. It’s a grounded story. The Marvel Universe is the background. And it has ramifications on the world at large. There’s a weird backstory to this book. I’ll probably never share it. But I’m glad folks get to read this book. If it is my last, I’m proud of the way I went out.
2) DEADPOOL KILLS THE MARVEL UNIVERSE – My first full-length Deadpool series. And—by far—the best seller. Also… the most violent and dark. I wonder if there is a correlation?
1) NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEADPOOL – Hands down my favorite! I love the use of color in the series. I love that I was able to bring in all these great horror tropes in a Deadpool story. The book was just so much fun to write.
There you have it. Something like 58 issues, plus a couple of short stories. That’s not a bad run. How does my list of favorites compare to yours? DEADPOOL: ASSASIN #3 comes out this week, and all the other stories have been collected in trades! You can order them from your favorite comic book shop! And IF you’d like to see me do some more Deadpool stuff, all you have to do is let the powers that be at Marvel know!